We realize that not all creative and qualified applicants have had access to an art curriculum or a portfolio. Many terrific applicants are intimidated by the words “portfolio” and “interview”. Hussian wants to ensure that all applicants will be successful and happy in our curriculum and part of that is gauging creative potential. Therefore, we have developed a few methods of gauging a student’s fit with Hussian despite art background and experience.
Students must demonstrate creativity in one of three ways:
- Portfolio: Submit samples of your original work of approximately 10 to 15 pieces (drawings, sketchbook, sketches, small paintings, classroom assignments, computer-generated artwork, etc.) This portfolio is evaluated during a Portfolio Review with a Hussian representative. To schedule a Portfolio Review, please call our Office of Admissions at (215) 574-9600 or email email@example.com.
- Creativity Assessment Activity: Students will create an original piece of artwork and submit an essay for the Creativity Assessment Activity.
- Portfolio Development Workshop: Students that have limited or no access to art courses but are creatively inclined may qualify for a free workshop to help gauge artistic ability. No experience is necessary. Please call the Office of Admissions to see if you are eligible (215) 574-9600.
Your current high school transcript or GED certificate must be sent to the Admissions Office. You must be a high school graduate or have earned a GED (General Education Development Certificate).
Hussian School of Art ® provides equal opportunity in education and employment for all qualified persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status.
Step 1. Complete an online application or call our Office of Admissions to schedule a Portfolio Review, receive a Creativity Assessment Activity, or see if you are qualified for our Portfolio Development Workshops (215) 574-9600.
- If you arrange a Portfolio Review, bring your portfolio with you at the scheduled time of your interview. We suggest, if possible, that your parents, guardian or spouse come with you to the interview. Your acceptance into Hussian will be based in part on your creative potential. Students are able to interview more than once if they need additional portfolio pieces. Often, we are able to refer applicants that need additional work to our Portfolio Development Workshops.
- If you complete and submit a Creativity Assessment Activity, students will usually hear a decision regarding admissions within two (2) weeks. Applicants will be notified via mail of the admission’s decision.
- If students are eligible to participate in Hussian’s Portfolio Development Workshop, a review of the student’s aptitude and progress will determine whether admission has been granted at the close of the workshops. Students may repeat workshops if necessary.
Step 3. Upon acceptance, you will receive an Enrollment Packet. The packet will contain a letter of acceptance and enrollment agreements. To enroll, you will need to sign both copies of the agreement and include the enrollment fee. We prefer that you visit in person to review the enrollment materials, but we are also able to cover the materials through alternate methods including phone interviews or Skype. Such a meeting can be arranged through an admissions representative.
Personal Tour and Information Session
Please feel free to arrange a tour and information session to see Hussian facilities, classrooms and studios. You will have the opportunity to speak with career advisors, an admissions representative, and the financial aid officer, concerning your needs and specific career objectives. This information session will give you a better feel of our campus culture and help determine if Hussian is the right school for you.
The Tour and Information Session can be combined with a Portfolio Review.